Though virtual reality technologies are still not in its full potential, they offer the opportunities to look into almost a real picture of things and step into a real world of experiences, places and roles that were not even possible to imagine. These virtual reality technologies help learners to attend virtual class, exam, lab, or discussions in a 3D environment. Virtual reality creates virtual worlds that have a clear advantage over the traditional blackboard classroom environment.
There are numerous applications in the virtual reality world that we use in the classroom environment. These virtual worlds have become as meeting places for academic institutions and also, various universities are implementing these virtual worlds in the classroom environment.
Virtual reality technologies adapt according to the needs of the individual and their various uses in the classroom.
- Visualization Scenarios are Changing: Virtual reality technologies are being used to teach students in a specific set of environment that is not present in front of them. For example, students can attend a class on cell structure in biology without going to the classroom.
- Developing Tools in 3D: Different fields like medical science, engineering and industries are developing 3 dimensions models that are being used to conduct surgeries, build products using bots that have high precision.
- Visualizations that are not possible to show in Classrooms: These virtual technologies help us to alternate our experiences and explore different types of realities. Students need to wear the Virtual Reality headset and can have high-quality content in front of their eyes. For example, if a complex topic like human brain is taught, then students would be able to visualize and remember for a longer time if they see live 3D examples rather than a diagram on the blackboard.
- Creating Interest Among Students: Students always love watching a movie rather than reading a related storyline as it helps to understand better and also saves a lot of time. The virtual (VR) and augmented reality(AR) technologies can create experiences that could not be lived in real-life. This technology will make the students feel more motivated to learn their subjects.
- Virtual Classrooms make things easier for students: Students can easily interact with different things in a virtual classroom. Students can even touch and manipulate the things present in a virtual environment to have a greater understanding of concepts. This applies not just to certain objects but also while interacting with complex formulae, data sets and concepts that students found inaccessible earlier.
Subscribe to BYJU’S YouTube channel and watch topics in biology such as respiration system, carbohydrates, etc. so that you have a proper understanding of the topic.